Saturday, December 17, 2011

The First Noel....






The First Noel, the Angels did say

Was to certain poor shepherds in fields as they lay

In fields where they lay keeping their sheep

On a cold winter's night that was so deep.








There is nothing like new life to bring down sorrow, grief and an unhealthy dose of self-pity.  I just adopted a 6 month-old black labrador retriever and her name from the rescue is Noel.

A fitting name given the season.  Wikipedia, my quick yet often inadequate peripheral brain (It mirrors my own!) , tells me Noel (also spelled Nowell or Noël) is the alternate word for Christmas. The word comes from the French word Noël derived from the Old French word noël, a variant of nael. The Latin origin is the word natalis ("birth"). Ah, Mr. Kaster my old Latin professor and general sadist would be so proud.

Me, the poor shepherd needs help in keeping my sheep.


Yes,  it is time for “birth”  or perhaps the  “rebirth” I so desperately need.  We will change her name according to my girls' wishes.  They settled on the name “Darcy” meaning “dark’ in Gaelic. Our trip to Ireland in December 2008 had a certain celtic influence.  The name also conjures up a certain “Mr. Darcy” every literate female’s idea of a perfect man.  But I will keep the Noel and abbreviate her name as N. Darcy similar to my favorite romance author. 

She will of course have “Nana” as a middle name.  Someone needs to take care of me, the shepherd, after all.

Welcome N. Darcy Nana.  Good thing I waited on replacing the living room rug.  May you find peace, happiness, love and an endless supply of chew bones under my tree for many years to come.  And help keep the  flock away from all those wolves.

Joyeux Noel!

No comments:

Post a Comment